Thursday, December 10, 2009

Girls Of The World

There's a lot of hype about how western women care only about career and money. There's a lot of complaining about so-called man-hating "feministas" in the west.

The image of the western woman (by this I mean American women and their Australian, British, Canadian, Irish, etc sisters), portrayed not only in some popular media but also amongst the opinions of much of the rest of the world, is of blood-sucking she-devils with overly ambitious expectations of their spouses, who would rather eat their own children than let a career advancement opportunity pass them by.

Here are some quotes I have been able to dig up from various sources:

"...most women in Western countries have that cold, bitchy, superficial, stuck up attitude. A lot of Western women hold themselves as the pure center of the relationship. If the men don't fit a rigid and unrealistic criteria or she doesn't feel the man can take care of her enough (even if she has a higher paying job) then she will drop him like a hot potato, regardless of his character or commitment to the relationship." - www.nomarriage.com

"American women are:
  • high maintenance
  • overweight and don't care about their natural feminine beauty
  • likely to cheat and then blame it on their partner
  • bitchy
  • nag constantly
  • hate men
  • believe family is evil and care only for themselves
  • can't cook
  • sleep with lots of guys but are incapable of loving just one" - Atlanta Journal article "Why Men Marry Foreign Women", 2008
That's just a small sampling of the popular belief amongst American men and the rest of the world concerning western women. I say it's all crap.

I have dated a fair number of women in my life, all of them Western save for my current Russian angel, Katerina, and I can say from a position of experience that the image of American (ie: Western) women is incorrect.

I'll start my argument by giving some credit to what makes foreign women different from western women.

Katerina is Russian. She is beautiful and funny and caring and she looks up at me with incredibly soft, sparkling eyes in such a way that I am unable to refuse her most ridiculous command. Okay, well, I am able to refuse but I'm trying to illustrate a point. Katerina also has a strange habit of walking into my room and attacking the pile of clothes I have neatly crumpled into a pile on the floor (as a result of performing a super-fast-tidying-up moments before she comes over). She folds them all neatly, makes my bed and then says, in her sexy Russian accent, "Let's go to the store and pick up some food. I want to cook dinner."

I have insisted that she leave the clothes alone, that she doesn't make the bed because we'll just unmake it anyways, and that ordering pizza would save her a lot of work, but it is an uphill battle. I've tried helping her in the past but she just waves me away. Once, I told her that it made me uncomfortable when she was cleaning my mess and cooking me dinner, and she got insulted. "What, you want me to be a man?!?" She said, her eyes narrowing and her voice rising. "I'm a woman! A beautiful, strong and fantastic woman!"
"Okay, okay. I didn't mean to insult you." I replied, backing up against the wall (I found out later that she's half-cossack, so I'm glad there were no horses or swords laying about my room).

What she was saying was that she was proud of her ability to fold my laundry and cook me dinner (she's a fantastic cook, and every meal she makes is a veritable feast). I decided to change strategies and started to cook her dinners because I, too, am a fantastic cook. I also started to hide my laundry before she came over (in drawers, in the computer desk, folded up in the fold-out sofa bed, etc). She still finds other ways of showing me what a great woman she is, though. When she comes out of the washroom the towels are neatly arranged and mine and Mr. Irish's toothbrushes put back in the holder, instead of laying about the countertop.

That's one example of the differences between eastern and western women. Another would be that when we are on the Moscow Metro and there are no seats, Katerina, rather than hold onto the bars for steadiness, throws her arms around my waist and clutches me for dear life. I must support both our weights as the car sways and shudders. When I look around I see other couples standing in the exact same manner. So far I haven't taken us both for a tumble but eventually the inevitable will happen...

Those differences are small. The hogwash line that "Western women are not women" is completely false, and probably invented by guys who can't get dates.

Western women aren't bitchy. If you are bitchy to a woman from any culture, chances are she will be bitchy in return. Women, as a group, are particularly strong-willed.

Western women aren't high maintenance or materialistic. Of course there are exceptions but there are everywhere. As an example, not all guys are pigs. Western women have been raised in a society and an age with the highest standards of living in human history. Because a girl wants a comfortable sofa to rest on after a hard day of work doesn't make her high-maintenance. It merely proves that she is human.

Western women don't jump from relationship to relationship as cheating whores with no sense of loyalty. Some do, but so do some men. Some don't; again, same with the men. I have been with cheating heartbreakers and completely devoted angels, and painting all western women with this brush is unfair.

Western women aren't overweight. In comparison to the rest of the world there is a far larger percentage of overweight women in the west, but there are A LOT of incredibly sexy, beautiful girls as well. I like curves and thick hair and I find that there is a lot of eye candy to be found in the west.

Western women don't hate men. They just hate whiny bitchy man-boys who write things like "western women hate men".

Western women are very tuned into their families. Find me a mother who doesn't care about her children and I will tell you that she has mental issues. Women in the west DO work 40+ hours a week and then come home and do 75% of the housework, which includes giving love and support to her children and partner. If a woman didn't care about family, would she do all this? I doubt it. Most women I know want to have a family (or already do). Even lesbian couples want to have children. Also, every single girl I've ever dated had a very close relationship to her parents, siblings, etc.

I would say that 50% of the western girls I know can cook. I don't know what the number is for Russian girls because I've only ever had one cook for me, so I can't make a comparison, but I can say that a generalization such "western women can't cook" is unfounded. Cooking is a learned skill, and if a person, man or woman, is taught to cook then voila! They can cook!

Finally, western woman are capable of love. When a woman is in love it is usually pretty intense and impossible for her to hide. This crosses borders and cultures and by saying that western women are incapable of love is the same as saying that western women aren't human. Western women are just incapable of loving the type of guys who say things like this.

As you can tell, I was bored and had nothing to write. Also, the movie "District 9" sucks.

1 comment:

  1. I think American women are different from the sterotypical view the rest of the world has.

    Look at Diane Garnick. She's today's American "Girl next door" and doesn't fit that old stero-type at all.

    ReplyDelete